Saturday, December 26, 2009

2010 Hair Plan


Over the last few weeks I've been thinking about my hair goals for 2010 and roughly putting together an outline.  I had my big chop on June 20th of 2009, plus I did two end clippings of my curls.  I want to get another salon cut in the first quarter of the year (probably February) but I'm in a quandry on if I should get a curl cut or get it cut straight.  I've not put heat on my hair at all in 2009.  Recently I've seen on other curly hair sites photos of what incorrectly straightening your natural hair can do to your curls.  My hair has some straight parts, wavy parts, curly parts and frizzy parts so product plays a big part in making it all come together as much as possible.  Another issue I need to take a good hard look at and try to minimize are the dreaded "fairy knots".  Those little hair strand destroying knots that cause breakage if left unattended. As my hair gets longer I'm starting to see these cropping up.  Deep conditioning and sealing with my aloe butter helps some, but I want to try to do more to address this.
I had my big chop done at Devachan and although he did an okay job with the cut, the styling job was a hot mess so I don't think I will be going back.  A salon called Salon Santa Cruz was recommended by Wes over at Honey.Brown.Sugar.  I'm thinking of giving them a try. I'm looking forward to the continued discovery journey of what works and what doesn't work for my hair.  I do know that it's healthier than it's been in years.  I'm starting to narrow down what products work for my hair type and what doesn't.  The hair steamer was a good investment and definitely helps with the dryness my tresses tend toward.  I'm definitely going to continue with my Henna/Alma treatment every 3-4 weeks, as well as deep condish once or twice a week. 
I'm still on the fence about any heat styling in 2010, so I will have to do a bit more reasearch and talk to a few people to see if I want to do it. I might try a roller set and go under the hair dryer and see how that works. Anyone who might have so feedback on heat styling experiences, please do email me so we can chat!

No comments: