Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Health & Wellness: Drink Your Water!!

About two months ago I incorporated the daily practice of drinking 16 oz. of room temperature water steeped overnight with lemon and cucumber first thing every morning. I prepare the night before and wait at least 20-30 minutes before I consume anything else. Sometimes I will sip my hot green tea with lemon after drinking most of the water.

Why lemons and cucumbers? Lemons are a loaded with Vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants are known to remove toxins from the body, which is why lemon water is such a good aid with weight loss. 
It also keeps the body alkaline. Researchers have speculated that an alkaline diet might slow bone loss and muscle waste, increase growth hormone, make certain chronic diseases less likely. 
Additionally, Vitamin C found in lemons, is known to boost the immune system. Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins your body needs every day. Just 1 cucumber contains: an abundance of B Vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc. 
As an added bonus, the vitamin C also increases collagen and elastin production, resulting in younger-looking skin.
I have always been one for drinking lemon water, and prefer it to other beverages like soda or juice.
My health has definitely seen a boost since I've started doing this. Give it a try for a month and see what results you have.



No comments: