Friday, November 8, 2013

Recipes & Nutrition: Roasted Eggplant With Red Onions & Tri-color Peppers


One of my favorite dishes to make is roasted eggplant with red onions & tri-color peppers.  I make it at least once a month and use it to create several different meals.  I like mine a bit more caramelized than the photo above though.

Recipe:

1 medium sized eggplant
1 red onion
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 yellow pepper

Preheat oven to 375 F while you chop your veggies.  Place your veggies in a good sized roasting pan (I line mine with non-stick foil) and cover with olive oil.  Your roasted dish will be full when you put it in the oven, but the veggies will cook down in size as the water evaporates.  I will set the timer for 30 minutes and then turn over the veggies in the dish using a spatula to mix well and further coat with juices and olive oil.
I set the timer for another 30 minutes and raise the temperature to 400 F for another 20-25 mins.  I then remove the pan and complete the same process of turning over veggies to shift and coat. You will notice a considerable shrinkage in your dish at this point. If you prefer your dish not to be caramelized, I would remove it from the oven at this point. I return to the oven and raise the temperature to 500 F for 15-20 minutes for the result I desire.

This dish is very versatile. I have it for dinner in a whole wheat fajita with spicy avocado.  I also add to and egg for a savory breakfast with or without a piece of spelt toast. As a snack, mix with spicy avocado and/or fresh cut tomato and scoop up with multi-grain tortilla chips. You can also use this to create a thin crust pizza using a fajita, skim mozzerella and this roasted veggie mix, putting in the oven for 10 minutes and enjoy!


No comments: