Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Health & Nutrition: Vitamin D Deficiency

Vitamin D deficiencies are at the highest levels ever. The advent of sun avoidance, religious applications of sunscreen, coupled with the seemingly increasing cloudy days all year around (at least in my area) has aided the steady climb to epidemic proportions. 

Vitamin D is essential for strong bones because it helps the body use calcium from the diet. Research is revealing the importance of vitamin D in protecting against a host of health problems. Symptoms of bone pain and muscle weakness can mean you have a vitamin D deficiency. However, for many people, the symptoms are subtle or non existent.  The most accurate way to measure how much vitamin D is in your body is the 25-hydroxy vitamin D blood test. 

While having my routine annual physical blood work done in July, I discovered I was pretty D deficient and started taking a supplement. I've gone from 18 nanograms/milliliter to 37.4 nanograms/milliliter to date.  

It is noted that you should be in the 50 nanograms/milliliter to 80 nanograms/milliliter range for optimal benefits, so it is my goal to get into that range. 






















I am currently taking 5,000 IU of Nature's Plus Vitamin D3. I started out with a chewable version that tastes a bit like smarties called MegaFood Vitamin D3 2000 IU Tablets. I took two of those a day.  I like the Nature's Plus better because it's a little bigger than a tic tac and it has more IU's in it. 
I've been told Garden of Life Vitamin Code RAW D3 5000 IU 60 Capsules is a good brand to try as well. I ordered a bottle and will start those when I finish the bottle of Nature's Plus.

Every tissue in the body, including the brain, heart, muscles and immune system, has receptors for vitamin D, meaning that this nutrient is needed at proper levels for these tissues to function well.  

Definitely get your levels checked and take steps to make sure you are at levels to reap the benefits and be at your best.

No comments: