Saturday, September 21, 2013

Product Reviews: L'oreal Advanced Haircare Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm and Advanced Haircare Power Moisture Moisture Rush Mask

This June marked my 5 year anniversary of going natural. Even though I have learned much about my hair, I find that in a lot of ways, caring for natural hair is just as tedious as dealing with relaxed hair. Both have it's pros and cons. Although I will never go back to relaxed hair, I can say I have done some reading on keratin treatments and Japanese straightening options and decided the risks outweigh the benefits. At least for me. As a compromise, I will do an occasional roller set without the suck the life out of your hair blow dry and flat iron favored by the Dominican salons.

I've been really terrible with keeping up with damage control on my hair this year. A couple of trips to my local Dominican hair salon left me with straight silky hair for a few days, but 4-5 inches on the ends of my hair failed to revert back and are slightly wavy at best. I've decided to cut them off to shoulder length. 


Since early spring I've neglected to have a steady schedule when it comes to doing deep conditioning treatments. I've made a commitment to put a stop to this by adding these two quick deep conditioners to my 5-7 day wash routine. After I shampoo, de-tangle with a regular conditioner and rinse, I apply either one, plastic cap and complete my shower routine (5-10 mins.) 


I rinse out with cool water and add a small amount of my leave in of choice and replace the plastic cap until I am ready to blot dry, apply any other leave in and let air dry.


Conditioner number 1, Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm is a rinse-out reconstructing balm that claims it repairs up to one year of damage in 1 use. Both powerful and luxurious, the balm instantly repairs the 5 signs of damage – split ends, weakness, roughness, dullness, and dehydration. I've used this one 4 times and it does appear to be improving the state of my hair.









Conditioner number 2, Power Moisture Rush Mask instantly infuses moisture into every strand. This mask, with its light and luxurious gel-like texture, transforms even dry, dehydrated hair into silky, soft and manageable strands. It is clinically tested to add 10 times more moisture to your hair. I do notice my hair seems to drink this up and I have to apply a bit more to both sides before plastic capping and that is a good thing. 

Of course I will also do my Nupur Henna/Neutrogena Conditioning/color regime every 4-5 weeks. That also helps with smoothing frizzies and making my hair look better. 

No comments: